STAR Bonds: Final Phase
Overview: Final Phase
- Learn more about STAR Bonds
- STAR Bond Final Phase Project Plan 3rd Amendment
- STAR Bond Project Plan 3rd Amendment Ordinance
- Wichita State Supplemental Feasibility Study
- Final Phase: Imagine Hospitality
- Watch City Council meetings live and on demand on our Channel 7 page.
The Final Phase of STAR bonds in Derby is proposed for consideration by the City Council and the Kansas Department of Commerce. Kansas statutes governing STAR bonds require a process of notifications, publications, studies and public hearings. The first step was a City Council presentation on Sept. 14 and a public hearing on October 26, 2021 with the City Council authorizing expansion of the district. The next step was a public hearing on May 10, 2022 to consider the final project plan.
The final phase for STAR Bonds proposed by Derby Destination Development, LLC consists of a family entertainment and multi-sport area. Site Plan. This includes:
- A man-made public access lagoon with beach activities (scuba diving, wind surfing, snorkeling and other water sports), aerial park, and indoor and outdoor event venues.
- 6 acre glamping site, offering glamorous camping on permanent platforms with amenities such as running water, plumbing, electricity, etc.
- 150 room hotel, offering exclusive beach access and indoor pool.
- Approximately 300 unit apartment complex.
- Senior living units.
- Retail, restaurants, and other commercial uses.
- Relocation of RoKC climbing facility and BMX track adjacent to The Sandbox at Derby.
The STAR bond program is a public/private partnership to use some of the state and local sales tax revenue generated within the district to facilitate development of attractions and related infrastructure (streets, water lines, etc.) that draw visitors to the area.
Also, city transient guest tax revenue (paid by people who stay overnight in Derby hotels) is used to pay for construction of the outdoor adventure attractions. All businesses in the STAR bond district pay property taxes and income taxes. The expansion proposal would not increase sales tax or any other tax. No incentives other than STAR bonds are being proposed or considered, nor have any been approved for development of past attractions (Field Station: Dinosaurs, Derby Sports Zone, or the climbing and BMX attractions approved for construction in 2022).
Anyone wanting more information may contact the Derby City Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-788-3132.
- Sept. 14, 2021: Proposed Expansion of the STAR Bond District and set a public hearing for October 26, 2021 (Resolution 06-2021)
- Watch the meeting video. See Item 8.3.
- Oct. 26, 2021: Public Hearing, Ordinance to Expand STAR Bond District, and Set a Public Hearing to Amend the Project Plan
- Watch the meeting video. See Item 8.2
- A public Open House was held Nov. 30 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Venue at Madison Avenue Central Park, 512 E. Madison Ave.
- STAR Bond Overview Presentation: Jan. 25, 2022
- May 10, 2022: Public Hearing on STAR Bond Project Plan Third Amendment and Consideration of Fourth Amendment to Development Agreement
- Watch the May 10, 2022 Council Meeting See Item 9.1
- Dec. 15, 2022 Derby Planning Commission Meeting: Zone Change Elkouri Addition
- Dec. 15, 2022 Derby Planning Commission Meeting: Final Plat, Elkouri Addition