Golf Carts

golf cart

On March 9, 2021 the Derby City Council approved an update to the municipal code concerning golf carts. View the ordinance

The ordinance allows golf carts to be used within The Oaks residential neighborhoods to travel between residences and travel between a residence and a recreational amenity owned by an HOA or golf course like a pool, clubhouse, golf course, or pickleball court. Governmental entities may also use golf carts on public streets in the performance of authorized duties.

Can I drive a golf cart on the street in Derby?
On most Derby streets, golf carts are prohibited; however, in certain situations they are permissible. For example, you can drive a golf cart on streets within the area bounded by Patriot Avenue, Rock Road, Meadowlark Boulevard and Woodlawn Boulevard. See the map

Golf carts are prohibited on these four major streets but are allowed on residential streets within this area. Golf carts are prohibited on sidewalks unless in compliance with the City’s guidelines on Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices (OPDMD) for people with mobility disabilities. See the guidelines

Can I drive anywhere I want in the restricted area?
When driving your golf cart, it must be the most direct route from the owner’s residence to and from another residence or an amenity owned by the golf course or HOA (examples: golf course, clubhouse, pickleball court, pool). When possible, you should cross streets where cart paths intersect.

Can I drive my golf cart at night?
Between sunset and sunrise, your golf cart must be properly equipped with headlights and a slow-moving vehicle emblem as required by state law.

Do DUI and open container laws apply to golf carts?
Yes, all traffic laws apply to golf carts when being driven on streets.

Do I need liability insurance on my golf cart if I drive it on the street?
Yes, you must have insurance and provide proof of such if stopped by the police.

Do I need a driver’s license?
Yes, you are required to have a valid driver’s license if operating the vehicle on a city street. Golf carts are not to be driven by children on city streets. Safety is of utmost importance as you are sharing the street with bigger, faster moving vehicles.

How do I register my golf cart?
Contact the Derby Police Department Records Section at 788-1557 (open 24/7). Proof of insurance is required, and the registration fee is $25 each calendar year. You will receive a decal that must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. Registration will be valid for the calendar year and can be renewed each January. Police will issue citations for driving on streets without proper registration. At the time of registration, you will be provided a copy of the city ordinance governing golf carts and a list of Frequently Asked Questions.