Youth Citizen Police Academy
4th Annual Youth Citizen Police Academy: June 18-22, 2018
Calling all Derby youth ages 14 to 17!, Spend a week of your summer in a fun, free, one-week course that will give you an inside look at law enforcement in Derby and the surrounding area. The Youth Citizens Police Academy (YCPA) is designed to educate youth about police department operations and the day-to-day responsibilities of the department.
The 2017 Academy will be held June 18-22 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily at the Derby Police & Courts Building, 229 N. Baltimore. Instructors include Derby police officers who will share insights about their jobs and responsibilities. The Academy is coordinated through the department’s Community Education Unit.
Apply (deadline is June 8, 2018)
(applications must include a letter of support)
- Ages 14-17
- Preference is given to Derby residents or students who attend school in Derby, others will be accepted if there are spots open.
- Have no felonies or serious misdemeanors on their record.
- Accepted based on recommendations from a school official, parent, School Resource Officer or adult member of the Derby business community or Derby Police Department.
This program is FREE!
Here is what to expect:
- Building search
- Crime scene investigation
- District Attorney’s Office
- DUI investigations
- K-9 Unit
- Officer ride-along
- Police vehicles/uniforms/equipment
- Special Operations Team
- Tours: Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center - Hutchinson, McConnell AFB, Sedgwick County 911
- Traffic accidents & enforcement
- Wichita Police Department Detectives & Mounted Patrol